Newness for a New Year

Monday, October 8, 2007

Fire and Smoke (Part I)

This next post will take me some time to get down in its entirety. I will do what I can to get it up as soon as possible. I feel the need to get it down because then I can sort through the emotions that have been raging inside me.

On Thursday, Oct. 4 I went home after running to my office to get some papers, to find smoke coming from my kitchen window. You never really understand the fear that captivates your whole being in such a situation until it has you so tight you can hardly breathe. You can't think, and you seem to lose control of the connections between your body and your brain. Maybe the disconnection protects you from fully realizing the pain and terror as you stand before a nightmare. I never thought I would be a person who experienced a house fire. I just felt myself immune to such a thing--that would only ever happen to someone else. Well, as with so many other things in my life, I have been starkly reminded that I am susceptible to all things. I will break down this event in my next post, but for now know that my house was on fire. It was pretty much contained to the laundry room (started in the dryer) and scorched a bit of the kitchen as well. We feel extremely blessed that the rest of the house has smoke damage alone. Our task now is to air out, clean off, and pack up.

I want to thank everyone who has already so lovingly and willingly helped us. I have rarely felt so vulnerable, and I am deeply grateful for the support I feel. I am also so thankful to my God, who spared us what could have been complete ruin, and who has continually extended his mercy and comfort to us these past few days.

1 comment:

Amber said...

How scary!! I hope that you are doing ok and that you continue to be blessed with comfort. I'm also hopefull that since you are posting, that means you were not harmed. Love you!