Newness for a New Year

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Back to Blogging: Coming Together

I like to think of myself as someone who believes in the interconnectivity of life. We all rely on each other. We need other people, and luckily for us, there is a Grand Designer that guides us through experiences and to people. We often think we know where we are going or what we should end up as, but we are usually off base. C.S. Lewis said that we can expect some discomfort as God remodels us because we can only imagine that he is making a cottage out of us instead of a beautiful palace. But, in rare moments when we can look back and see how all those days of cottage dreaming really were moving us toward the palace, something in life changes.

I love the verse in Genesis that reads, "And God remembered Rachel." Now, I am confident that God never forgot about her, but sometimes we feel as though we have been forgotten. Deep inside I know that what Elder Maxwell said is true: "We are His work and His glory, and He is never distracted." But, I do get distracted. I sometimes get so caught up in wondering what will become of me that I forget that I am becoming someone all along. And, it is true that God remembers us. I have felt that truth so fully in my life as this past month has unfolded in unexpected ways.

Many of you know that I ended my job at BYU in August. My one-year (extended a second) appointment ended and I felt I needed a change. I knew that I needed to leave Provo and try something new. I was hoping the move might be to a completely new place, maybe Boston or Portland. But, my heart kept telling me Salt Lake. It wasn't my first choice, for various reasons, but amid all the unknown days, I knew I should move downtown. I found a roommate: LauraLee. We worked together for two years at BYU. She just started at the U in the law program. We found a nice place just west of the university. I am a short 4-minute walk from my Trax stop and I have all the stores I need on 4th South. It is ideal.

I won't go into the details of my job search, but I will say that as of the third week in August, I was still unemployed. The thing is, I felt such peace about it. I knew I needed to be in Salt Lake and I trusted that the peace I was feeling would mean that I would secure a job downtown. Well, thanks to Mindy (Hepworth) Heywood, I found a job. Mindy and I have been friends since third grade, and at my 10-year reunion in July I spoke to her about her work in Instructional Design. Well, as I was searching Craig's List for jobs, I came across an opening for an Instructional Designer. I emailed Mindy to see if she could tell me about the firm. Turns out, it was her firm. From that point on everything fell into place. Thanks to Mindy and her excellent work, Allen Communication decided to take me on, mostly by association I think. So, thanks for being so outstanding Mindy.

And now I work and live downtown. I love it. My Trax stop for work is right at Sam Weller's bookstore, which is a wonderful place. I can eat my favorite Greek food any day of the week. I hardly drive--thank goodness. I love the people I see and meet everyday.

When I think about all I have been experiencing, all I can say is that I am saturated in newness. For many years, I have thought about how much I would love an urban life. Of course, I always thought it would be in an Eastern city, but I think this move is exactly what I need.

And what we need is often different than what we want. When I was a bold and befuddled 18 year old, I never could have imagined my life now. I couldn't have known the richness I would experience, the people I would meet and the places I would visit. Seemingly unimportant events in my life have combined to make a very unexpected and stunning present.

Thank you all for your support as I have transitioned to this newness. I couldn't have done it without you. I realize that as much as I think I have accomplished something in my life, I really haven't accomplished anything on my own. I am surrounded by so many amazing people. You encourage me and help me see in myself what I have yet to become. I believe it was Tennyson who said, I am a part of all I have met. Well, I believe all whom I have met are a part of me.

As I sit blogging on this easy September evening, I sit in happiness at all the possibilities that life offers. Sometimes we need to vigorously work to figure out what is next and sometimes God wants us to trust him. He wants us watch in wonder and awe at his unfolding purposes for us. So, where ever you are at in your lives, I hope you can look at the beauty of how your life has unfolded and sit in peaceful anxiousness for what is to come. It might just happen when you least expect it.

14 comments:

Jenny said...

Good, good post Breanne. It was just what I needed today...

Holly said...

I really enjoyed reading your post. I have had many of those same thoughts and feelings lately as things fell in to place for us to move to a different country and experience so many new things. Congratulations on your new job!!

Aaron and Megan said...

Hey Breanne, I came across your blog today and it was fun to catch up. Good luck in Salt Lake and with the job. Change is a good thing. I have a blog too if you want to check it out:
www.maaronj.blogspot.com

Rachael said...

What a beautiful post, Breanne (and yes, it is Tennyson...from his poem about Ulysses). It also makes me think of John Donne's "No man is an island."

Warrior Princesa said...

bre, no matter how far the distance, you always manage to touch my heart and encourage me to be a better person. i love you so very very much my dear friend. congrats on the newness in your life.

Kim said...

Thanks Breanne. You have such a wonderful way with words. I appreciate your insights, and I think that's what Pavel and I needed to hear right now as we continue searching for a job. Congrats on finding "home". It's a nice feeling, isn't it.

brit said...

Wow. I had no idea you were in the midst of such change. I am glad you are liking it so much.

Anonymous said...

Grover, lovely post. Thanks for the reminder. Good luck in your new job!

Lots of love to you,
Ackerman

Jana said...

Beautiful words as usual. Congrats on the new job! Sometimes I miss working downtown...with you!

Daisy Chick said...

Thank you for a beautiful post, in the midst of my own personal journey, your words were a beakon of light and hope. Thank you for sharing. I am so happy for you, and for all that you are experiencing. After all the storms lately the sun is shining in your life again. I am so happy for you.

Mindy Heywood said...

And it has been so fun working with you! I am so glad we get to have this chance to reconnect.

Weston and Becky said...

Bre...how is SLC, becks tells me you love it, nice. We would ike to get back up there but it's going to be a few years. Don't be a stranger.

Sarah and Mark said...

Breanne congrats on the job and finding a place to live! It sounds like things are working out well for you which I'm glad for. I enjoy reading your blog as you are such a great writer. I hope the job is great!

Rebs said...

Great blog post. Thanks for sharing.