Newness for a New Year

Monday, April 14, 2008

Lora Florence Cook

Last night my Nana passed on. I haven't figured out how best to say that or to even tell people. It sounds so strange to say "passed away" because what have they passed away to? I guess "passed on" represents better where she is. She has passed on to the next glory.

I don't think she could have chosen a better time to leave. It was a beautiful, warm Sunday and we had just had a family prayer a few hours before. But, even though I have been preparing for this over the course of three weeks, you never know how you will respond when the moment arrives. Of course I was sad to lose her, but I was also so glad that she was no longer in pain. She hasn't been responsive for days, so it was a relief that she could finally be free of her body.

I have never been so near death before. As a child, I didn't like the idea of a dead body, but somehow last night I moved beyond that. She is my Nana, and I was honored that I could be with her in her final moments. It was a type of beauty I have never experienced before. And, to really think about where she now is brought me so much peace and relief.

It is strange that you can want death for someone. You spend your life trying to evade it, but at some point, death seems to be the best thing. And, you can feel that it is the next adventure for that person. I've learned so much about the body and about the power of a person's spirit.

She was a remarkable woman who taught me so much about myself and the world around me. She was determined and capable. I hope to render as much love and service in my life as she did in hers.

Thank you all for your support and love. I am so glad that many of you knew and loved her.

Her funeral will be Thursday at 11 a.m. at the Centerville North Stake Center, 1461 North Main Street. The viewing will precede the funeral at the same location from 9:30-10:45 a.m. If you would like to, you are more than welcome to come and celebrate her life and her faith.

5 comments:

Tammy Scoville said...

Beautifully put. I know what you mean about not wanting someone you love to suffer anymore. Feeling that, and wanting them to be released, despite how much you will miss them, is a deep form of love I am glad I have felt in my life. God's speed.

Daisy Chick said...

Thank you for putting into words what has been in my heart all week. I needed this today as we prepare for the next few days. What an honor for us to be part of such a legacy of strong women.

Anonymous said...

Thomas phoned tonight with the news. Although a distant relative, I had similarly mixed emotions. My sincere condolences to the whole family. Even at this sad time, I can't help but smile thinking about one fleeting moment I shared with Grandma Cook sporting clown wigs on a sunny Sunday afternoon. What a great person.

Anna said...

Breanne, I'm sorry to hear about your Nana. She sounds like a wonderful lady. I felt similarly when my Grosi passed away two years ago, such sadness mixed with relief for the end of their pain. We will see them again, and they are watching over us in the meantime.
love,
Anna

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.